It is a good habit to merge duplicate people in ancestry to not create any confusion later. While you merge the people in ancestry account, you can manage and select which relationships & you want to keep with the people and which needs to discard. So if you merge the people then you don’t require deleting them from the contact.
To avoid duplicate people in future, you can review our guide of How you can avoid creating duplicates in tree.
Ensure The Duplicate People Are Really Duplicates
When the people who are biologically related to each other get married together, they will start appearing as duplicates in their family tree. Some of their descendents are also may duplicates in the tree. This may happen because the duplicated persons have two roles in their family, and the family tree is adding them into both the key roles.
Before you fix a duplication issue, you may need to ensure that whether someone is entered in the tree two times or it is just displaying as a duplicate.
How to Check The Duplicate People Are Really Duplicates
- Navigate to the family tree, tap on any duplicated people.
- Menu that shown there, press profile.
- Now see the URL at the top of your webpage you are now.
- Copy the number between /person & /facts.
- At the top-left corner of profile page, press on tree symbol to navigate back to your tree.
- Follow & repeat the entire process again for another duplicate person.
- Compare between two numbers. If the numbers are different, it will show two different entries for each of them. And if both the numbers are same, then you are seeing the same person.
How To Find Duplicate People
- Through any page of your Ancestry account, tap on trees and select a family tree.
- Click on tree search, from top-right corner of your tree.
- From the right side of panel, press on list of all people.
- Scroll through the entire list to search for duplicate people. List will appear in alphabetical order by the last name.
- When you see a duplicate person, tap on their name. It doesn’t matter on which name you will click from those duplicate contacts.
How To Merge Duplicate People
- Through the profile page of a particular person who is duplicated, press on the Tools in top-right corner & choose the option Merge with duplicate.
- At merge duplicate people page, choose the duplicate you will be merging from the right column. If we find one or any no. Of duplicates automatically, it will display in person 2 column. In that situation, press on the choose button available next to the person you would like to merge. If you want to search a person manually, enter their name into Find a person in tree field and press on the person from the drop-down list that shows.
- Select the list of facts that you would like to consider as primary. For every event, click on the circle icon available next to it that’s specific and accurate. For instance- if a person 1 lists the year of birth but person 2 has listed the month & day as well. Then results for person 2 would be more accurate. Facts that you didn’t choose will saved as alternative fact. If the facts are exactly same, it says SAME next to the fact. In that case you need leave the fact.
- Once you have selected the facts that you want to make primary. Press Merge.
- After merging if you find any mistake try fixing them with our ancestry merging guide. Usually relationship mistakes happen after merging when people in the tree merged incorrectly.
If you are finding the ways to merge people on your ancestry account to avoid duplicate people that are creating confusion this article will help you a lot. Please share your feedback about this post and write us if you have any queries or suggestions relevant to merging people in ancestry account.